New York Partner Arun Subramanian has successfully represented both plaintiffs and defendants in a wide variety of high-stakes commercial cases. As one of the youngest partners at the firm, and one of the youngest partners elected to the Firm’s Executive Committee (2015-2017), Arun has amassed the litigation successes of an attorney with twice his experience.
Called an “agile thinker” with the ability to “master complex problems and distill them to their essence in writing and presentation to the court” by Assured Guaranty General Counsel and Managing Director, Ed Newman, Arun has been actively involved in a variety of significant matters for Susman Godfrey. No matter what the arena–patent, trade secrets, antitrust, False Claims Act breach of contract, or fraud — Arun has a proven track record of success. This includes:
- Ongoing success in the widely covered, high stakes antitrust matter, In re: Libor-based Financial Instruments Antitrust Litigation,where Susman Godfrey lawyers, as co-lead counsel to the OTC plaintiffs, have secured over half a billion dollars in settlements and recently won class certification* for the plaintiffs they represent on their antitrust claims. (*subscription required)
- Securing a complete jury victory in Tyler, Texas, on behalf of client Globus Medical in a patent infringement case brought by Flexuspine, Inc., a local Tyler company. Arun served as co-lead counsel. Read more here.
- A landmark False Claims Act lawsuit against the Swiss drug manufacturer Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation which settled for over $450 million – the highest award ever given in a whistleblower suit of this nature. Learn more here.
- The firm’s second victory before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) on behalf of brokers seeking to avoid clawback claims on bonuses. Read more about that case here.
- A trailblazing victory for Assured Guaranty against Flagstar Bank in one of the first trials concerning repurchases of faulty RMBS. Susman Godfrey secured a judgment for Assured Guaranty of over $100 million.
- Successfully representing client Personalized Media Communications (“PMC”) as lead counsel in appeals, arbitration proceedings, and in trial court. Arun’s team has secured PMC tens of millions of dollars in settlements, and a judgment in PMC’s favor on the scope of the company’s major licenses. Click here for an example.
- A major class action win against New York City’s largest hop-on, hop-off sightseeing bus operator, resulting in a $19 million settlement for Arun’s clients.
- Arguing successful appeals in several major cases including:
- BASCOM v. AT&T Corp., one of the first cases to uphold a patent challenged under the Supreme Court’s Alice decision,
- PMC v. Scientific Atlanta, where the Federal Circuit upheld the dismissal of a licensee’s breach of contract action against client PMC, and
- Harris v. Fischer, where Arun was appointed as pro bono counsel for the plaintiff by the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. The Court reversed the District Court’s dismissal of prisoner’s Section 1983 case relating to a strip search of a female prisoner by male guards.
Outside of the courtroom, Arun contributes to the legal community by taking on pro bono cases and serving on the Board of Directors for the Columbia Law Review.