John McCauley is an experienced trial and appellate attorney who specializes in complex commercial litigation. John has successfully handled a wide variety of contract, intellectual property, energy, antitrust, tort, and constitutional cases in state and federal courts across the country. On the plaintiff side, he has helped his clients recover several hundred million dollars in settlements and judgments. And on the defense side, he has defeated claims of similar size.
John’s clients have ranged from individuals to small businesses and large corporations. They include energy, fintech, and biotechnology companies, manufacturers, private equity firms, shareholders, bankruptcy trustees, and government entities. He has also advised on corporate governance and intellectual property matters.
Before joining Susman Godfrey, John practiced at a large international firm, clerked for a federal judge, and was a partner at a commercial and IP litigation boutique in the Midwest. While there, as co-counsel with Susman Godfrey, he helped secure one of the largest shareholder oppression recoveries in the country. John’s wins have been reported in the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, and the Wisconsin State Journal.
John graduated from Harvard College, where he played varsity football, and from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he was a Levy Scholar. Before starting his legal career, he worked in management consulting in New York.
Not admitted in Texas. Practicing under the supervision of the partnership of Susman Godfrey LLP.
Honors & Distinctions
Honors and Awards
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in America® for commercial litigation
- Pro Bono Honor Roll, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Levy Scholarship, University of Pennsylvania Law School (full-tuition merit scholarship)
- Legal Writing Honors, University of Pennsylvania Law School
- Associate Editor, University of Pennsylvania Journal of Constitutional Law
- Honorable Michael S. Kanne, United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Penn Carey Law at University of Pennsylvania (J.D., cum laude, 2007)
- Harvard University (A.B. in history, cum laude, 2002)
- The University of Virginia (Jefferson Scholar, 1997–98)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania