Lora Krsulich litigates high-stakes commercial disputes in various complex legal areas. She has handled cases related to intellectual property, antitrust, False Claims Act, fraud, insurance, and shareholders & securities, and has secured hundreds of millions of dollars for her plaintiffs clients. Likewise, she has protected defense-side clients from millions in potential exposure.
Lora draws on nearly a decade of experience in public and private practice tackling complex subject matter and translating it into compelling arguments for her audience. No matter the subject, Lora’s authentic style and thoughtful legal analysis instill trust in her trial teams and clients
Working with a team from Susman Godfrey, Lora secured a $30 million all-cash, non-reversionary settlement (before fees and expenses) for a class of life insurance policy owners who alleged that Security Life of Denver Insurance Company breached the life insurance contracts of the class by raising cost of insurance rates in violation of the agreed-upon contracts. Lora filed and won the motion for class certification and filed and defeated a motion for summary judgment.
In addition, Lora and a team from Susman Godfrey secured a $25 million all-cash, non-reversionary settlement (before fees and expenses) with Genworth Financial Life Insurance Company for a certified class of insurance policy owners. The class alleged that Genworth breached the life insurance contracts by raising cost of insurance rates in violation of their contracts. Lora played a critical role in achieving this excellent result ― where policy owners are obtaining more monetary relief in the settlement deal than they could have achieved through a complete victory at trial.
Lora previously represented relators in their California False Claims Act suit against a large construction contractor in California State Court. Taking the lead on depositions of the contractor’s project managers, business managers, and experts and drafting a successful motion for summary adjudication, Lora was instrumental in securing a favorable settlement for the relators.
Lora served as counsel to antenna technology company and repeat Susman Godfrey client, Fractus SA, in a patent infringement case against ZTE Corp. Traversing the globe, Lora handled key depositions, both in the United States and abroad, and then briefed and won a motion to compel ZTE’s sales data and an opposition to a motion to strike. Fractus later agreed to settle its claims for a multi-million-dollar settlement
Lora joined Susman Godfrey after working as a law clerk to Judge Kim McLane Wardlaw on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and to Judge Philip S. Gutierrez on the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
She graduated from UC Berkeley School of Law in 2016, where she served as editor-in-chief of the California Law Review and co-chair of Berkeley Law’s First-Generation Professionals group.
Before law school, Lora worked as a senior policy advisor for the Office of Prisoner Reentry in Newark, New Jersey, where she won and managed more than $7 million in federal and private grants.
When not working, Lora enjoys spending time with her husband and sons, William and Bennett
- Moskowitz Family LLC v. Globus Medical (E.D. Penn.) Defending Globus Medical, Inc. in a patent infringement case brought by Moskowitz Family LLC. Lora is leading deposition efforts and has argued a key discovery motion. The matter is ongoing.
- Kern River Corridor Endowment & Holding Co., Inc. v. Chevron U.S.A. Inc. (California state court) Defending Chevron U.S.A., Inc. in a trespass case brought by Kern River Corridor.
- In re Qualcomm Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Cal.) Representing a proposed consumer class who allege that Qualcomm violated state consumer protection and antitrust laws in California, harming competition and causing California consumers to overpay for cellular phones.
- Brighton Trustees, LLC as Trustee et al. v. Genworth Life & Annuity Ins. Co. (E.D. Va.) Representing policyholders in a putative class action against an insurance company that raised cost of insurance rates in violation of the terms of a contract with policyholders. Lora has taken and defended key fact witness and expert depositions in the case.
- Advance Trust & Life Escrow Servs. LTA v. Security Life of Denver Ins. Co. (D. Colo.) Representing a certified class of insurance policy owners against an insurance company that raised cost of insurance rates in violations of the terms of a contract with policyholders. Lora filed and won the motion for class certification and filed and defeated a motion for summary judgment.
- Granina v. Tarzana Emergency Medical Associates et al. (LA Superior Court) Representing consumers in a case against a Southern California hospital and medical group concerning the practice of surprise balance billing. The case, which is still in early stages, aims to recover overcharges consumers paid as a result of the defendants’ balance billing practices.
- In re Pattern Energy Group Inc. Securities Litigation (D. Del.) Representing shareholders challenging a $6.1 billion go-private, all-cash sale of Pattern Energy Group, Inc. to Canada Pension Plan Investment Board.
- The Rawlings Group (Kentucky State Court) Defending Rawlings in various employment litigation matters pending in Kentucky State Court.
Honors & Distinctions
Honors and Awards
- Order of the Coif
- Thelen Marrin Law Award Recipient
- Finalist, McBaine Honors Moot Court Competition
- Prosser Prizes in Legislation & Statutory Interpretation, and Public Law & Policy
- Best Brief Award in Written & Oral Advocacy
- Commendation from the City of Newark, New Jersey City Council for Contributions to Newark’s Prisoner Reentry Program
- NYU President’s Service Award for outstanding leadership of a student group (Students for Criminal Justice Reform)
- Honorable Kim McLane Wardlaw, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Honorable Philip S. Gutierrez, United States District Court for the Central District of California
- Extern to Honorable Charles R. Breyer, United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- The University of California at Berkeley, School of Law (J.D.)
- Order of the Coif
- New York University (Master of Public Administration)
- Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service
- Boston College (B.A., Political Science, magna cum laude)
- The Legal 500 Podcast, Lora Krsulich, September 2023
- Note, Polluted Politics, 105 Calif. L. Rev. 501 (2017)
- Comment, Diminishing State Power in Nuclear Energy Regulation, 41 Ecology L.Q. 629 (2014)
Leadership & Professional Memberships
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Women Lawyers Association Los Angeles