Mr. Magni is an accomplished trial lawyer with judgment and skills well beyond his years.
“After working closely with Rocco for over a year and seeing his handling of depositions and mediation, I was shocked to find out he was only a young associate. I assumed he had been practicing far, far longer given his excellent work.”
Edward Ondarza, Manager and Chief Investment Officer,
Virage Capital Management LP
Mr. Magni has already achieved significant trial victories with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake in each. Most recently, Mr. Magni helped secure a record $706.2 million verdict after a seven-week jury trial. Mr. Magni has also taken and defended depositions across the United States and abroad and argued hearings—including on dispositive motions—in state courts, federal courts, and in arbitration.
Mr. Magni achieves significant results by combining this experience with his creative thinking and ability to make even the most complex concepts easily understood by his audience.
In 2019, Mr.Magni was named a Rising Star for his trial work by Law360. Prior to joining Susman Godfrey, Mr. Magni was ranked fourth in his class at the University of Texas School of Law and clerked for former Chief Judge of the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Honorable Edith H. Jones.
Below are a few of Mr. Magni’s notable matters:
- Title Source, Inc. v. HouseCanary, Inc.
- Represented real estate analytics start-up company HouseCanary, Inc. in a misappropriation of trade secrets, fraud and breach of contract case.
- Conducted examination of the first witness—and one of only two fact witnesses—in HouseCanary’s case-in-chief, which included a redirect examination following a cross-examination by opposing counsel’s most senior lawyer.
- After a seven-week trial, the jury awarded $706.2 million, including $403.2 million in punitive damages.
- You can read more about the historic victory here.
- Alattar and Luxeyard Inc. v. Kevan Casey, et al.
- Defended two private investors in civil securities fraud lawsuit brought by company.
- Successfully briefed a motion to strike the Plaintiff’s $140 million damages model, which the Court granted on the eve of trial.
- Second-chaired four-week bench trial, conducting multiple direct and cross examinations of witnesses—including named plaintiff—and giving closing argument on counterclaim.
- What started with $140 million in potential liability ended with the Court ultimately releasing one investor from all liability and limiting the Plaintiff’s recovery from the second investor to the profits from the transactions at issue.
- The Court also awarded the two private investors a portion of the damages sought in their counterclaim.
- Bayou Corne Sinkhole Litigation
- Defended Texas Brine Company—operator of a brine well at issue—in multiple lawsuits stemming from a sinkhole formation in Bayou Corne, Louisiana.
- Cross examined third-party witness during a four-week bench trial. Prepared multiple expert and fact witnesses for trial testimony.
- The court determined other parties should bear the majority of the responsibility for the formation of the sinkhole.
- Downer v. Leichtenberg
- Represented real estate investor in breach of contract dispute with developer involving properties in multiple cities. Reached settlement after one deposition.
- Confidential accounting malpractice dispute
- Represented client of Big-Four accounting firm in dispute over grossly negligent actuarial advice. Reached settlement pre-suit.
- Confidential fashion law dispute
- Represented Haute Couture designer in breach of contract dispute with national retailer. Reached settlement pre-suit.
- Louisiana Land Loss Litigation
- Representing Chevron in 42 lawsuits relating to the loss of marsh land in Louisiana filed by Louisiana Parishes and the Louisiana Department of Natural Resources.
- Currently managing the offensive discovery team, which includes informing and directing deposition and written discovery strategy.