Tyler Downing joined Susman Godfrey after clerking for Judge Danielle J. Forrest of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Before clerking, Tyler began his legal career at a global Vault 10 firm where he represented plaintiffs and defendants in high-stakes commercial litigation. As a member of that firm’s Media, Entertainment, Sports litigation group, Tyler represented clients in cases involving a wide array of claims, including copyright, idea theft, contract, and trade secret cases.
Tyler earned his J.D. from the University of Chicago Law School where he graduated with honors and served as both the Managing Editor and Topic Access Editor of the Chicago Journal of International Law. While still in law school, Tyler appeared for the State of Oregon in a range of criminal proceedings through his work for the Jackson County District Attorney’s Office. Tyler also served as a research assistant involved in work examining the intersection of unfair competition law and the “dark patterns” used by various websites and applications.
- Honorable Danielle J. Forrest, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- The University of Chicago Law School (J.D., with Honors)
- Managing Editor & Topic Access Editor, Chicago Journal of International Law
- Dean’s Award
- Ruth Wyatt Rosenson Scholar
- Donald E. Egan Scholar Award
- Santa Clara University (B.S., summa cum laude, Political Science and Individual Studies: Arabic, Islamic, Middle Eastern Studies)
- Valedictorian Semi-Finalist
- Political Science Honors Program
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Bernard L. Kronick Award for Research and Writing
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for Central District of California
Alex Wyman & Tyler Downing, Avoiding Film Industry Fraudsters: Key Tips for Investors, Law360 (April 7, 2022)