A former law clerk on the Supreme Court of the United States, Zach Savage is a trial and appellate lawyer who represents clients around the world in complex business disputes. Zach is experienced in a broad array of litigation areas including breach of contract, oil and gas disputes, intellectual property, and insurance litigation. His clients range from industry leaders such as General Electric and Walmart to smaller businesses and individuals in the financial, technology, and media sectors.
Zach joined Susman Godfrey in 2015 and, after clerking for Justice Elena Kagan on the United States Supreme Court in 2018, returned to the firm in 2019. He formerly served as Managing Editor of the NYU Law Review.
Several of his matters have attracted substantial media attention, including his current representation of Dominion Voting Systems in its defamation suits against Fox News and others, as well as his current representation of the former shareholders of Yukos Oil against the Russian Federation seeking to confirm $50 billion in arbitral awards. Zach was named to Benchmark Litigation’s 40 and Under Hot List in 2022.
Some of Zach’s notable results and representations are:
- Dominion Voting Systems Defamation Suits: Zach is representing Dominion Voting Systems in its ongoing suits against Fox News (Del. Super.) and Mike Lindell (D.D.C.). In the Lindell suit, Zach secured complete dismissal of Lindell’s counterclaims against Dominion; you can read Zach’s winning briefs here and here.
- PHT Holding I LLC v. Security Life of Denver Insurance Company (D. Colo.): Zach represents a class of life insurance policyholders in breach-of-contract suit against Security Life of Denver challenging increases to cost-of-insurance charges. Zach secured class certification of a 31-state class on a state law breach-of-contract claim.
- GE v. Nebraska Investment Finance Authority (S.D.N.Y.) Won breach-of-contract jury verdict for General Electric, obtaining relief valued at over $100 million. The suit, against the Nebraska Investment Finance Authority, concerned above-market interest payments under the parties’ investment contracts. The verdict was affirmed on appeal by the Second Circuit. See GE Funding Capital Markets Services, Inc. v. Nebraska Investment Finance Authority, 767 Fed. App’x 110 (2d Cir. 2019).
- Leonard v. John Hancock (S.D.N.Y) Secured preliminary approval of a $123 million settlement on behalf of a class of life insurance policyholders in breach-of-contract suit against John Hancock who challenged its increases to cost-of-insurance charges. Zach spoke to Law360 about the win in its coverage of the case (subscription required).
- Avi Dorfman v. Compass (New York Supreme Court, New York County) Represented Avi Dorfman in a co-founder dispute against real estate brokerage Compass. After seven years of litigation, the parties settled on confidential terms, with Compass acknowledging Dorfman’s role as a founding team member.
- Innovius v. Sharp Corporation (Texas State Court, Dallas County) Represented patent licensing business, Innovius, in a lawsuit against Sharp Corporation concerning the breach of a multi-million dollar patent licensing agreement. The parties settled on confidential terms.
- Confidential investment fund arbitration. Represented individual against former investment fund employer in confidential arbitration concerning multi-million dollar partnership dispute.
- Synergy Global Outsourcing LLC v. Hinduja Global Solutions, Inc. Defending U.S. subsidiary of publicly traded Indian company, Hinduja Global Solutions, Inc in breach-of-contract and fiduciary duty litigation in Texas state court.
- Confidential sports agency arbitration. Representing sports agency in confidential arbitration concerning departure of agents to competing agency.
- Hulley Enterprises v. Russian Federation (D.D.C.) Representing the former investors in Russian oil and gas company Yukos, seeking confirmation of a $50 billion arbitral award against the Russian Federation.
- Leonard v. John Hancock (S.D.N.Y.) Secured preliminary approval of a $123 million settlement on behalf of a class of life insurance policyholders in breach-of-contract suit against John Hancock who challenged its increases to cost-of-insurance charges. Read more (subscription required).
- Farneth v. Walmart (W.D. Pa.) Represented Walmart in a certified class action in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania challenging Walmart’s collection of sales tax on certain in-store transactions.
- Baltimore Opioid Litigation. Represented City of Baltimore in litigation against nationwide opioid manufacturers and distributors.
- Advance Trust & Life Escrow Services v. Security Life of Denver (D. Colo.) Representing a class of life insurance policyholders in breach-of-contract suit against insurer Security Life of Denver, challenging increases to cost-of-insurance charges. Successfully obtained nationwide class certification on state law breach-of-contract claim.
- Vertical Aviation v. Government of Trinidad & Tobago (S.D.N.Y) Represented international aviation financing and leasing company Vertical Aviation in a breach-of-contract action against the Government of Trinidad & Tobago. The parties settled on confidential terms.
- U.S. v. Prevezon Holdings Ltd (2nd Circ.) Secured writ of mandamus from the Second Circuit on behalf of third-party hedge fund client Hermitage Capital, disqualifying its former counsel from representing the defendant in a forfeiture action brought by the United States.
Honors & Distinctions
Honors and Awards
- Lawdragon 500X - The Next Generation of Leading Lawyers (2023)
- New York Rising Star, Super Lawyers (2023, Thomson Reuters)
- 40 and Under Hot List, Benchmark Litigation (2022, Euromoney)
- Managing Editor, NYU Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Pomeroy Scholar
- Weinfeld Prize for Scholarship in Procedure and Courts
- Furman Academic Scholarship
- Honorable Elena Kagan, Supreme Court of the United States
- Honorable Anthony J. Scirica, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Honorable Jesse M. Furman, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- NYU School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2013)
- Princeton University (A.B., summa cum laude, 2008)
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
Leadership & Professional Memberships
- Associate Member, Federal Bar Council American Inn of Court