Laranda Walker is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and represents plaintiffs and defendants in complex commercial litigation in federal and state courts across the United States. She is experienced in every aspect and stage of litigation – through case inception to discovery to trial prep to trial, arbitration or settlement. A trusted litigator, Ms. Walker understands when a case should be pushed through to trial or when a negotiated settlement is in her client’s best interest.
Ms. Walker regularly represents some of the world’s largest companies and industry leaders—such as Chevron and Texas Brine. She has also won significant victories for small businesses and individuals. Ms. Walker is well-versed in litigating all types of commercial matters, including Energy and Environmental, Business Disputes and Real Estate cases. She also has in-depth experience in qui-tam cases.
High Profile Litigation
Ms. Walker has played a significant role in several trials and arbitrations. She was recently hired less than six months before a preferentially set jury trial in Texas state court to represent a plaintiff in a nearly decade-long theft of trade secrets dispute between two manufacturing competitors. Ms Walker and her team tried the case and secured a non-appealable award which netted her client a substantial award.
Ms. Walker helped secure a $20 million jury verdict for Houston-based Linde Engineering in a major construction dispute with Crestwood Midstream. The dispute involved Crestwood’s refusal to pay Linde’s invoices in connection with construction of a $100+ million gas plant in North Dakota. Read more (subscription required).
Ms. Walker is serving as counsel to Live Nation, defending the entertainment company in litigation arising from the 2021 Astroworld Music Festival. Ms. Walker also is part of the Susman Godfrey team litigating a $1.6 billion dollar defamation lawsuit against Fox News on behalf of Dominion Voting Systems. This case has attracted widespread media attention from outlets such as the New York Times, Washington Post, CNBC, The Associated Press and LA Times. Ms. Walker is also trying similar cases on behalf of Dominion against others such as Sidney Powell, Rudy Giuliani, and Mike Lindell. The team has already defeated several motions to dismiss.
Recognizing the impact that mentors have had on her life, Ms. Walker is committed to helping others reach their full potential. Ms. Walker is a member of the firm’s Mentoring Committee and enjoys mentoring Susman Godfrey associates. Ms. Walker has also mentored students in the Thurgood Marshall Legal Society at the University of Texas School of Law where she is a trusted role model and depended-upon resource to some of the law school’s top students.
Ms. Walker is also a board member of Texas Appleseed, a nonprofit organization that promotes social, economic, and racial justice. In 2020 Ms. Walker was selected as a member of the Institute for Energy Law’s 2020-2021 Leadership Class.
Before joining Susman Godfrey, Ms. Walker practiced commercial litigation at Phelps Dunbar, LLP in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and was President of the Baton Rouge Bar Association’s Young Lawyer Section. A Mississippi native, Ms. Walker worked several years as a news anchor/reporter for stations in Columbus, Mississippi, and Baton Rouge before attending law school.
- US Dominion Inc. et al. v. Fox News Network LLC (D. Delaware) Representing Dominion Voting Systems in a $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit against Fox News Network. Dominion accuses Fox News of making false claims that Dominion rigged the 2020 Presidential Election – these claims caused a significant decline in Dominion’s business. Ms. Walker is prosecuting similar defamation claims on behalf of Dominion against Rudy Giuliani, Sidney Powell, Mike Lindell, Patrick Byrne, One America News Network (OAN) and Newsmax TV. Read more.
- Confidential Trade Secrets Arbitration. Hired less than six months before a preferentially set jury trial in Texas state court to represent a plaintiff in a nearly decade-long theft of trade secrets dispute between two manufacturing competitors. Ms. Walker and her team converted the case to binding arbitration, tried the case, and secured a non-appealable award, which, after the payment of the firm’s contingent fee, netted the client a substantial award.
- Rebellion Energy v. Liberty Resources (First Circ.)Secured a significant win for Liberty Resources when the First Circuit ruled that Liberty would not be forced to arbitrate a dispute over a bill in its $106 million energy deal with Rebellion Energy. Read more (subscription required).
- Linde Engineering v. Crestwood Midstream (133rd District Court in Harris County, Texas) Helped secured a $20 million jury verdict for Houston-based Linde Engineering in a major construction dispute with Crestwood Midstream. The dispute involved Crestwood’s refusal to pay Linde’s invoices in connection with construction of a $100+ million gas plant in North Dakota. Read more (subscription required).
- Warmack et al. v. Alight (S.D. Tex.) Represented real estate developer and owner, Warmack, against its tenant, Alight, in a dispute relating to properties in Texas and Florida. The case settled for confidential terms just days before Ms. Walker was set to serve as second chair and give opening statements in jury trial.
- Poarch v. Norman Regional Hospital Authority (District Court of Cleveland County, Oklahoma)Second chaired a breach of contract and breach of duty trial. Having been asked to join the trial team just two months earlier, at trial Ms. Walker delivered both opening and closing statements, direct-examined one witness and cross-examined two of the opposing side’s witnesses.
- Woods v. CQuentia (153rd District Court in Tarrant County, Texas) Represented a healthcare sales executive against genetic testing and diagnostics company CQuentia NGS, its CEO, and related entities. During this multi-week jury trial, Ms. Walker direct examined two witnesses and cross examined the opposing side’s expert.
- Chevron Corporation Litigation.
- State of Louisiana and Louisiana Parishes v. Chevron. Defending Chevron in more than forty lawsuits relating to the loss of marsh land in Louisiana filed by Louisiana Parishes and the Louisiana Department of Natural Resources.
- Jeanerette Lumber and Shingle (JLS) v. Chevron. Representing Chevron in multiple environmental matters related to property allegedly damaged from oil and gas operations. The matters are pending in various Louisiana state courts.
- Chevron Climate Change Litigation. Represented Chevron Corporation in numerous and ongoing Global Climate Change lawsuits across the country, in which cities, states, and counties allege that Chevron and other major oil and gas companies should be held liable for the production and promotion of fossil fuels.
- Texas Brine Sinkhole Litigation (E.D. Louisiana) Represented Texas Brine Corporation in multiple lawsuits relating to the Bayou Corne sinkhole that formed in Louisiana in 2012. This case involves complex technical and environmental issues surrounding the collapse of a salt dome.
Honors & Distinctions
Honors and Awards
- Plaintiffs’ Lawyers Trailblazer, National Law Journal (2023, ALM)
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigator (2022, 2023)
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers – among the top 2.5% of attorneys under 40 in the state (2016, 2018, 2019, 2020; Thomson Reuters)
- Louisiana Rising Star, Super Lawyers (2013, 2014, Thomson Reuters)
- Michaelle Pitard Wynne Professionalism Award, Louisiana State Bar Association (2015)
- Leadership Class, Louisiana State Bar Association (2010 – 2011)
- Region VII Champions, Top 16 Finalists in National Competition, National Moot Court Team (2005-2006)
- Honorable Mention for Individual Best Advocate, Willem C. Vis International Commercial Moot Arbitration (2007)
- National Trial Team, 2005-2006
- Winner, Best Oralist, Best Brief, Robert Lee Tullis Moot Court Competition
- President, LSU Trial Advocacy Board (2006)
- Member, LSU Moot Court Board (2006)
- Honorable Gregg Costa, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 2016
- Louisiana State University (J.D./B.C.L., 2007)
- Mississippi State University (B.A., 2002)
5 Life Lessons from Making Partner as a Solo Parent (Law360, September 2023)
Leadership & Professional Memberships
- Board Member, Texas Appleseed
- Leadership Class, Energy Law (2020-2021)