Meng Xi focuses her robust practice on a variety of high-stakes commercial litigation matters in federal and state courts across the country, particularly patent infringement and business contract disputes. Ms. Xi has a proven track record of successfully representing both plaintiffs and defendants and has spearheaded every phase of a matter from inception through trial.
During her time at Susman Godfrey, Ms. Xi has represented well-known, industry-leading clients such as Nasdaq, Skybell, Bitdefender, Rockstar Consortium, Personalized Media Communications, Sentius, and Vaporstream in high-stakes patent litigation. Ms. Xi has obtained favorable settlements and achieved a myriad of successes for these clients against industry giants such as Google, Samsung, Vizio, Microsoft, Haier, NRG, and Snap.
Ms. Xi has also obtained victories for clients such as SunPower Corporation, who was involved in a complex contract dispute against NRG Energy. Thus far, Ms. Xi has scored numerous notable wins for SunPower, including on three dispositive motions.
In addition to actively litigating patent infringement and commercial litigation cases, Ms. Xi is very involved in the firm’s pre-suit evaluation processes for IP cases, and regularly leads pitches and provides counseling to clients across diverse technological areas such as microprocessors, wireless communications protocols, electronic options trading platforms, medical devices, and chemical composition/pharmaceutical formulations.
Before joining Susman Godfrey, Ms. Xi served as a judicial law clerk for Chief Judge Sharon Prost at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and was an associate at a Vault 100 firm in Los Angeles.
Ms. Xi is an active participant of the Judge Paul R. Michel IP Inn of Court in Los Angeles, where she has served as President beginning with the 2019-2020 Term. Ms. Xi is fluent in Mandarin and Shanghainese and enjoys utilizing her language skills in her practice. Before practicing law, Ms. Xi was a software developer at a Silicon Valley startup.
- Vaporstream, Inc. v. Snap Inc. Represented Vaporstream in the first patent infringement lawsuit against Snap Inc. d/b/a Snapchat, filed in the Central District of California. Ms. Xi spearheaded pre-suit due diligence efforts on Snap’s ephemeral messaging app and most recently drafted the (successful) opposition to the § 101 motion for summary judgment filed by Snap. Ms. Xi also devised claim construction positions on behalf of Vaporstream, arguing and obtaining a very favorable Markman ruling. The case is currently set for a jury trial in August 2018.
- Rockstar Consortium Inc. v. Google Inc. Represented Rockstar Consortium (a joint venture comprised of Apple, Ericsson, Sony, and Blackberry) in a patent infringement suit against Google in the Eastern District of Texas involving patents related to search advertising. The case was one of the largest patent cases in history because Google had previously placed a bid of $4.4 billion for the Nortel patent portfolio, a subset of which was asserted in this case by Rockstar against Google. Ms. Xi handled several phases of the litigation: devising favorable Markman positions, winning key discovery motions, arguing the Markman hearing, and preparing and defending key witnesses. The settlement of the hard-fought case resulted in a $900 million sale of the patent portfolio.
- NRG Renew LLC v. SunPower Corporation, Systems. Defended SunPower in this complex litigation matter involving multi-hundred-million dollar indemnification and breach of contract claims arising from the financing and construction of one of the world’s largest solar power plants, California Solar Valley Ranch in San Luis Obispo County. At the case’s inception, Ms. Xi tackled thorny issues involving tax and administrative law to craft, argue, and win two demurrers brought by SunPower in the Superior Court for the County of Contra Costa. Thereafter, Ms. Xi spearheaded every phase of the case, from fact discovery to expert analysis to summary judgment. Ms. Xi obtained a favorable settlement for SunPower after prevailing on a motion for summary adjudication.
- Personalized Media Communications, LLC Cases. Scored numerous victories for Personalized Media Communications (PMC), owner of one of the world’s most valuable patent portfolios (according to an Ocean Tomo study). In a series of cases against Vizio, Samsung, and Funai asserting standard-essential digital television signal processing patents, Ms. Xi has authored oppositions to and won two § 101 motions to dismiss, argued for and obtained favorable Markman rulings, and taken and defended key depositions. In January 2016, Ms. Xi won a motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction on behalf of PMC in a declaratory judgment action filed by Funai Electric Co. in the District of Delaware. Within days of winning the motion, Ms. Xi filed a lawsuit on behalf of PMC against Funai in the Eastern District of Texas and litigated the case until settlement. The trio of cases against Vizio, Samsung, and Funai settled on highly favorable terms, with all three defendants becoming proud licensees of PMC. Ms. Xi currently represents PMC in patent infringement cases against Chinese TV manufacturers Hisense, TCL, and Tongfang filed in the Eastern District of Texas. The cases are set for trial in early 2019.
- Sentius International, LLC v. Microsoft Corp. Represented Sentius against Microsoft in an infringement suit involving automated database technology. Ms. Xi drafted successful oppositions to summary judgment and Daubert motions. The case settled on highly favorable terms within 24 hours of those motions being denied.
Honors & Distinctions
Honors and Awards
- Lawdragon Leading Litigator (2023)
- 40 and Under Hot List, Benchmark Litigation (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023 Legal Media News)
- Lawdragon 500X - The Next Generation of Leading Lawyers (2023)
- One to Watch – Patent Litigation, Best Lawyers in America (2022, 2023, 2024 Woodward White Inc.)
- Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation (2022, Euromoney)
- California Trailblazer, The Recorder (ALM, 2019)
- Next Generation Woman Leader in Tech Law, The Recorder (ALM, 2018)
- Southern California “Rising Star” (Thomson Reuters, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2022, 2023)
- President, Judge Paul R. Michel IP Inn of Court (2019-2022)
- Mentoring Committee, The Honorable Nancy F. Atlas Intellectual Property American Inn of Court (2022-present)
- California Law Review, Publishing Editor, Volumes 98-99
- Berkeley Technology Law Journal, Submissions Committee, Volume 25
- The Dualist Undergraduate Journal of Philosophy, Editor-in-Chief, Volumes 10-11
- Phi Beta Kappa, Junior-Elect
- Stanford University, President’s Scholar
- Stanford Philosophy, Philip R. Rhinelander Prize
- Honorable Sharon Prost, United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2013-2014
- Judicial Extern to the Honorable Carlos T. Bea, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2010
- Stanford University (B.A., M.A., with honors and distinction, Phi Beta Kappa)
- The University of California at Berkeley, School of Law (J.D., law & technology certificate, distinction and high distinction)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- An Introduction To Litigation Financing: How It May Affect Your Case (Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association; Los Angeles, California; 2022)
- Do’s and Don’ts: What Are the Best Strategies for Seeking Financing for Litigation? (LITFINCON I; Houston, Texas; 2022)
- Spring 2022 SCOTUS and En Banc Fed. Cir. IP Case Round-Up (Judge Paul R. Michel IP Inn of Court; Los Angeles, California; 2022)
- Riding the 101 Wave: The Ebb and Flow of Patent Eligibility in the Courts and the PTO (New Jersey Intellectual Property Law Association; Webinar Series; 2021)
- SCOTUS 2017 Term Patent Decisions Round-Up (Judge Paul R. Michel IP Inn of Court; Los Angeles, California; 2018)
- From Matal v. Tam to In re Brunetti: Trademarks, the First Amendment, and Practical Implications for Practitioners (Judge Paul R. Michel IP Inn of Court; Los Angeles, California; 2017)
Leadership & Professional Memberships
- The Honorable Nancy F. Atlas Intellectual Property American Inn of Court
- Judge Paul R. Michel IP Inn of Court
- The Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies
- American Bar Association
- American Enterprise Institute, Enterprise Club
- Chinese (Mandarin)